Who needs a porridge cafe when you can make your own fancy oats at home? This is a delicious combo which will satisfy any chocolate lovers out there. The mashed banana adds some sweetness without the need for maple syrup, honey or brown sugar and the seeds add some additional fibre and essential omega 3 fat. If you’re not sure what to do with the leftover banana, chuck it into a snap lock bag and put it into the freezer for use in a smoothie another time, or double this recipe and make a bowl for a family member.
- Prep: 5 Minutes
- Portions: Makes 1 serve
- 1/4 cup jumbo rolled oats
- 1/2 cup milk (cow's or unsweetened soy) + an extra 1-2 tbsp as needed
- 2 inches banana, mashed well + another 2 inches, sliced for topping
- 1 tsp cocoa or cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp hemp or chia seeds or a mixture of both
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp plain Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, mix the oats, milk, mashed banana, cocoa and salt and gently heat on a low to medium setting
- Cook for approximately 5-10 minutes or until the oats have softened and the porridge is beginning to bubble. Add the extra milk if the oats begin to stick a bit
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl
- Top with the extra slices of banana, hemp/chia seeds, peanut butter, yoghurt and cinnamon to garnish and enjoy!